Tkemali is a dish of Georgian cuisine, which is a sauce of plums, garlic and spices. This is a great addition to meat, poultry and fish. You can cook tkemali for the winter at home. After heat treatment, plums can be stored for 3 years.
The composition of tkemali includes plum and various spices. During its preparation, no oil is required, so the sauce does not add fat to the main dishes. The spices contain substances that increase appetite and promote digestion.
When cooking in the tkemali vitamins E, P, B1 and B2, ascorbic acid are preserved. When they affect the body, the work of the heart, the condition of the hair and skin improves, oxygen is supplied to the cells faster, brain activity is stimulated.
Plums are a source of pectin, which helps cleanse the intestines. Therefore, tkemali contributes to the work of the digestive system. When adding sauce, even heavy dishes are digested much easier.
To cook tkemali according to the classic recipe, you need to follow certain rules:
- Sour varieties are always selected; plum is best used;
- plums should remain slightly unripe;
- in the process of cooking is allowed to use different varieties of plums;
- while cooking the sauce is constantly stirred to avoid burning;
- Enameled dishes will be required for cooking, and a wooden spoon will help to mix tkemali;
- You can pre-dip the fruit in boiling water to remove the skin;
- cooking will require salt, dill, hot pepper, cilantro and coriander;
- after cooking, the volume of the plum will decrease by four times, which must be considered before purchasing the ingredients;
- the choice of spices is unlimited and depends only on personal preferences;
- periodically, the sauce should be tasted to adjust it in a timely manner;
- fresh herbs are not added to the hot sauce, you need to give it time to cool.
How to cook a classic tkemali
Modern recipes offer to prepare a sauce of various sour berries - gooseberries, currants, etc. However, the classic version of tkemali cannot be obtained without sour plums.
Another important component of this sauce is the use of ombalo - marsh mint, which functions as a spice. With its help, tkemali gets its unique taste.
Ombalo has preservative properties that allow you to extend the storage time of the blanks. If it is rather difficult to get the spice, then it is replaced with ordinary mint, thyme or melissa.
Tkemali from cherry plum
To prepare a traditional Georgian sauce, you need to use the following step-by-step instruction:
- For the traditional recipe you will need 1 kg of cherry plum. Fruits should be well washed, then folded into the pan. Damage fruits are not recommended. According to the classic recipe there is no need to separate the skin and bones from the pulp.
- The cherry plum is placed in a saucepan and about 0.1 l of water is poured. Fruits should be cooked over low heat until the peel and bone are separated.
- The resulting mass must be transferred to a colander or a sieve with small cells. As a result, the puree is separated from the skin and bones.
- The cherry plum is placed in a saucepan again and set on slow fire.
- When the mass boils, you need to remove it from the stove and add sugar (25 g), salt (10 g), suneli and coriander in a dry form (6 g each).
- Now proceed to the preparation of greens. For tkemali you need to take one bunch of cilantro and dill. Greens are washed thoroughly, dried with a towel and finely chopped.
- To make the sauce spicy you will need chili pepper. It is enough to take one pod, which is cleaned from seeds and peduncles. When working with pepper, wear gloves to avoid skin irritation. If desired, the amount of hot peppers can be reduced or increased.
- Chilli is ground and added to the sauce.
- The final stage is the preparation of garlic. Three medium cloves need to grind and add to tkemali.
- Tkemali laid out on the banks for the winter.
In the absence of cherry plum, it is successfully replaced by ordinary plum. When choosing it, one should be guided by the general rules: the use of unripe fruits, sour in taste.
Then the classic recipe tkemali from plum for the winter takes the following form:
- To prepare, take 1 kg of plum varieties "Hungarian" or any other. Fruits need to be well washed, cut into two parts and eliminate the bones.
- To get the sauce a rich red color, you will need a Bulgarian pepper (5 pcs.). It must be cut into several parts, cleaned of stalks and seeds.
- Chilli (1 pc.) Peeled from the stalk and seeds.
- Two heads of garlic must be peeled.
- After preparation, the ingredients are turned through a meat grinder.
- In the resulting mass add 0.5 tsp. ground black pepper, 1 tbsp. l sugar and salt.
- The mixture is placed in a saucepan, brought to a boil and boiled for 15 minutes.
- Ready sauce can be laid out on the banks and sent to storage.
Yellow Plum Recipe
When using yellow plum tkemali will only benefit in their taste. When choosing fruits you need to choose sourish varieties. If the plum is too soft or sweet, the result will resemble jam, not sauce.
The classic recipe for tkemali from yellow plum varieties is as follows:
- Plums with a total weight of 1 kg are peeled and peeled.
- Fruits are minced or minced in a blender.
- In the resulting mass, add sugar (50 g) and rock salt (30 g).
- Plum puree put on a slow fire and cook for 7 minutes.
- The pot is removed from the fire after the allotted time and left to cool for 10 minutes.
- Garlic cloves (6 pcs.) Must be passed through the garlic press.
- Finely chop 1 bunch of fresh cilantro and dill.
- The chilli peppers must be peeled and the seeds removed. Pepper is ground in a blender or meat grinder.
- In tkemali add garlic, herbs, hot pepper, ground coriander (15 g).
- The finished sauce is poured over the cans to cool completely. Pre-glass containers are steam sterilized.
Recipe with vinegar
Adding vinegar allows you to extend the shelf life of tkemal. The classic recipe in this case reflects the following step-by-step instructions:
- Sour plum (1.5 kg) should be washed, cut into two parts and remove the bones.
- One head of garlic must be peeled.
- Plums and garlic are processed in a meat grinder, sugar is added (10 tablespoons), salt (2 tablespoons) and hop-suneli (1 teaspoon).
- The resulting mass is thoroughly mixed and set on slow fire.
- Tkemali is prepared within an hour.
- During the preparation of the sauce you need to wash and sterilize the jars.
- 5 minutes before removing from the heat in tkemali vinegar is added (50 ml).
- Ready sauce is poured over the cans. The specified number of ingredients is enough to fill three cans of 1.5 liters each.
If the time for making homemade preparations is limited, quick recipes come to the rescue. The easiest way to get tkemali takes no more than an hour.
In this case, the classic tkemali sauce is prepared according to the following step-by-step guide:
- Sour plums (0.75 kg) are peeled and ossified, then crushed by any suitable method.
- In the mixture add 1 tbsp. l sugar and 1 tsp. salt.
- Mass put on fire and bring to a boil.
- When the sauce boils, you need to remove it from the heat and cool slightly.
- Chopped garlic (1 head), hops-suneli (3 tbsp. L.), 2/3 hot pepper are surely added. Pre-pepper is cleaned from the seeds and tail, and then turned in a meat grinder.
- Sauce with the addition of pepper, garlic and spices need to boil for another 5 minutes.
- Tkemali laid out on the banks. To store the sauce during the winter, the containers must be sterilized.
Recipe for multicooker
The use of multicooker will simplify the process of cooking tkemali. To get the necessary consistency of the sauce, you need to select the mode "Quenching". At the same time plum does not burn and is not digested.
Classic tkemali from plum for the winter is prepared according to the recipe:
- Any sour plum in the amount of 1 kg must be washed and stoned.
- Then you need to prepare 6 cloves of garlic and one bunch of dill and parsley.
- Plums, garlic and herbs are ground using a blender.
- Plum puree is transferred to a slow cooker, sugar and salt are added to taste.
- Multicooker include on the "Quenching" mode.
- After 1.5 hours, you need to cool down a little, add chopped chilli pepper (1 pc.) And hops-suneli (75 g).
- Tkemali laid out on banks for long-term storage.
The classic recipe for tkemali includes cherry plum and marsh mint. These ingredients can be replaced with blue and yellow plum varieties, regular mint and other greens. Depending on the ingredients used classic recipe is adjusted, however, the overall sequence of actions remains unchanged. To simplify the process, you can use the multicooker.