Summer residents have to spend a lot of effort to harvest a quality crop of each crop. But this stage is not the last. Plants need to grow, wait for the harvest, and then save it. Winter storage is important for any region. In the cold season it is difficult to provide your diet with fresh vegetables and fruits, so gardeners think about ways of storage in advance. The article will look at the rules for storage at home of winter garlic.
Winter garlic - a vegetable picky, but very useful.
As soon as at least one parameter is disturbed during storage, then without it you can stay long before the new harvest. But in addition to nutritional and taste advantages, it has a strong therapeutic effect. Therefore, we consider the aspects of proper storage of garlic heads in the winter.
Preliminary preparation before putting garlic in storage
High-quality storage of winter garlic at home is possible only with proper harvesting. Gardeners need to do everything according to the rules:
- Observe the terms of cleaning. The main assistants in this are the lunar calendar, the weather forecast and external signs of the plant ready for harvest.
- As soon as the leaves of the plant turn yellow, the stem is soft, and the husks will easily lag behind the teeth, then it is time to harvest.
- Ensure proper watering. 3-4 weeks before the expected harvesting period, watering is stopped. In this case, the crop is stored in the winter better. Therefore, try to dig up the head before the rain.
- Choose suitable weather conditions. Harvested vegetables in rainy weather are more difficult to preserve - additional drying is required.
- Carefully dig garlic heads for storage. To do this, use forks, not a shovel. Be sure to retreat from the stem of the plant by 5-7 cm, so as not to injure the garlic.
The following stages - drying, cleaning, a partition. Everyone is important and necessary. Summer residents need to wait for the natural stop of the vegetative processes in the plant.
In rainy time, the harvest is laid out under a shed for 10 days, in dry weather, left on the beds.
Further actions include clearing the ground, cutting the stems and roots. The remaining roots are burning.
Now the bulkhead.Important! It is impossible to store winter garlic without a bulkhead.
If during the growing season there was an infection of the fungal infection or the larvae of pests, then the product will survive for a short time. Therefore, it is better to discard any doubtful heads for priority use and not to leave them for winter use.
Storage options for winter garlic at home
In order for garlic to retain its characteristics and attractive appearance, you need to find a suitable method of winter storage for your conditions. There are only two main ways - warm and cold.
The parameters of the warm method - the temperature is not higher than 200 ° C and the humidity in the room is from 50% to 70%. More suitable for industrial use. In the cold version, the temperature is kept from + 2 ° C to + 40 ° C, the percentage of humidity is allowed up to 90%. This option is closer to home storage. Most often, gardeners put the crop in the fridge. Winter vegetable does not require longer storage, it still will not stand for more than six months and will begin to deteriorate or germinate.
Among the huge number of ideas, gardeners allocate the most convenient for winter garlic. Store the crop using:
- Cold method. It fits home refrigerator, sterilized glass containers, tissue bag, treated with saline.
- Salt method. With it, the heads of the winter product are sprinkled with dry salt.
- Flour, sprinkling it garlic cloves or heads.
- Onion peel also for peresypaniya harvest.
- Vegetable oil. Pre-prepared oil poured teeth.
- Paraffin. Substance provides long storage even at room temperature. With this method, garlic does not lose moisture.
- Pigtails of garlic stalks.
- Boxes, nets, storage boxes.
Each method has its own nuances, advantages or disadvantages.
We save winter garlic at home
How to store winter garlic at home? Well proven, proven by many housewives, options - kitchen, pantry, refrigerator. To place the winter crop in room conditions use:
- Glass jars. They must be sterilized and dried. Then put the untreated slices of the winter product. But the additional substances for the safety of vegetables take different. If it is not poured with anything, then tightly close the jar with a lid. In another case, slices are covered with wheat flour. When adding flour, the jar is left open.
- Another ingredient that saves winter garlic from spoilage in winter is table salt. The components are placed in a jar in layers, alternating garlic and salt.
- Baskets are good for cloves. In them the necessary airing without draft is maintained. If you take cardboard boxes, plastic or wooden boxes, you will have to make holes in them.
- Suspension pigtail.
The popular way it was used to keep a winter vegetable from antiquity was even decorated with a house spit. Such a kind of garlic decor. It is beneficial in that at any time you can inspect your stocks and detect a damaged or damaged head. For weaving, a base is needed - a rope, a harness, a twine and garlic stalks 35 cm long. Therefore, determine the winter method of storing garlic in advance in order to leave the required length of the stem. One side of the braid is attached to the wall with a loop.
- The bag is double. It will take two types of household bags - canvas and plastic. Canvas is placed inside the film, and winter garlic is poured into the double “container”. The advantages of this method are the stability of the moisture parameters and good harvest safety throughout the winter.
- Vegetable oil. Laborious way. Oil must be boiled for 1 hour, add 3-5 drops of pharmacy iodine solution. Untreated heads spread in the oil, then removed and cooled. Before laying the processed winter product is dried. For storage use any container of the desired size.
We looked at ways to properly store winter vegetables at home. If we store the product in the apartment, then the best option is to recognize glass containers with a tight lid. Room temperature does not always contribute to the long-term preservation of garlic harvest. Therefore, many housewives do the right thing if they use several different methods at the same time. With a small amount of winter garlic, a kitchen refrigerator is suitable, if the stocks are larger, then choose the most convenient one. Most often empirically, trying the listed options. In any case, do not forget:
- regularly inspect and sort the stored garlic;
- ensure that the product is not stored in the light;
- observe the required humidity so that the heads are not rotten and moldy;
- remove damaged or diseased bulbs in time, especially when their color changes;
- pour oil sprouting teeth.
Any home-made way to store winter garlic will be reliable when laying high-quality material. Pay attention to the bulkhead of the bulbs after harvest, provide the necessary temperature and humidity indicators. With this approach, you save a healthy vegetable until the new harvest.