Chokeberry is a very common berry in the cities and villages of Central Russia, and many, having heard about its beneficial properties, gladly prepare homemade fruit liqueurs and tinctures from it. But alcoholic beverages are not shown to everyone. But the preserves of black chokeberry will be enjoyed by both children and adults, while improving their health.
The benefits and harms of black chokeberry jam
Anyone who has ever tried fresh black chokeberry berries could not help but notice their sweetness, although in an indispensable combination with a little tartness. Black fruit contains up to 10% of sugars, most of which are glucose and fructose, but there is also sorbitol, which is good as a sugar substitute for diabetics. But the tart taste is manifested due to the content of pectin and tannins.Attention! Pectic substances themselves help to remove radioactive compounds and heavy metals from the body, as well as streamline the workings of the gastrointestinal tract and, in the presence of cholecystitis, can play the role of a mild choleretic agent.
Fresh berries, despite the significant content of sugars, have a small caloric content - about 56 kcal. Blackberry jam, due to the sugar content, is already much more caloric - up to 350-380 kcal per 100 g of product.
In the berries of chokeberry there are also many vitamins, among which vitamin P deserves a special mention (the content can reach from 2000 to 6000 mg). Its value lies in the positive effects on the immune system, in addition, it slows down the aging process in the body. To ensure the daily intake of this important vitamin, it is enough to eat about 3 tbsp. l black chokeberry jam a day.
The black chokeberry is rich in microelements, among which molybdenum, boron, iron, fluorine, iodine and manganese are especially worth noting. Their presence helps to normalize the work of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, reduces cholesterol levels, strengthens the walls of blood vessels and is an excellent prophylactic against varicose veins. And since the content of iodine is quite large in chokeberry berries (up to 10 mcg per 100 g of fruit), the black chokeberry jam will bring undoubted benefits for quick fatigue, general apathy, and also for bleeding gums.
Due to its rich and varied composition, black chokeberry or aronia was officially recognized as a medicine in the mid-twentieth century. In addition to the already mentioned medicinal properties, black chokeberry jam is capable of:
- reduce arterial and intracranial pressure;
- ensure a balanced endocrine system;
- relieve and even cure headache;
- help maximize the absorption of vitamin C entering the body;
- rid of belching, bad breath and heaviness in the stomach.
But, since black chokeberry jam is a truly effective drug, in some situations it can bring significant harm.
It should be used very carefully for people with low blood pressure.
You can not recommend it to people to use:
- with increased blood clotting;
- with gastritis characterized by high acidity;
- with a stomach ulcer;
- with thrombophlebitis;
- with frequent bowel disorders.
How to cook jam from chokeberry
In spite of all the undoubted benefits that the berries of chokeberry are capable of, chokeberry jam is not particularly popular. This is apparently due to some tartness of the berries. But cooked according to all the rules of black worm is sure to attract both its appearance and its inimitable taste. A barely noticeable tartness will only give the blank some uniqueness, but it will in no way spoil its taste.
The main thing you need to remember before undertaking to make a delicious dessert of chokeberry, that the berries must fully ripen. The fact is that in some regions they begin to blacken in the summer, long before maturation. But the maximum content of medicinal substances and the disclosure of the full bouquet of the taste of chokeberry berries reach only by autumn. The first 2 autumn months is the most favorable time for collecting and making tasty and healthy preserves. Moreover, the north of the growing region, the later should be collected berries chokeberry.
The berries have a rather dense texture and no less strong skin. But, since it is in the skin that contains up to 1/3 of all the nutrients of chokeberry, the most useful jam is obtained from whole berries.
It is necessary to wash the black fruit before making it very carefully, it is better to use running water without fear of damaging strong berries. Moreover, so that they can soak up the syrup in the best way, experienced housewives practice blanching fresh berries for a few minutes in boiling water.
Another way to help get rid of a certain astringency in black chokeberry berries is to soak the fruits in cold water for a day.
The amount of granulated sugar is determined on a case-by-case basis by the recipe used, but on average, in order to maximally soften the tartness of a berry, it should be by weight not less than the most selected and washed berries. Blackness ferocity is often successfully masked by adding other berries and fruits to the prescription jam, and even nuts.Tip! To preserve the color, taste and aroma of black chokeberry jam at home, you need to add citric acid to the almost ready dish 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
And, of course, we must not forget about the thorough sterilization of glass containers and lids, if there is an intention to preserve the jam for the winter.
Classic black ash jam
According to the classic recipe, black ashberry jam is generally prepared like any other berry jam. But there are a number of nuances inherent only chokeberry.
You will need:
- 1000g of black insects;
- 1500 g of granulated sugar;
- 650 ml of water.
- Black rowan is freed from stalks, washed thoroughly and laid in a deep container.
- Fill with cool water so that the berries are completely hidden under it, and kept at room temperature for a day.
- Separately boil a mixture of water and sugar, according to the recipe, until complete dissolution of the bulk product.
- Washed after maturation black carp is poured with boiling syrup and left to cool completely.
- Then placed on medium heat, boil for about 20 minutes, removing the foam, and again put to cool (preferably at night).
- Repeat the procedure with boiling the next day and again every other day.
- In the last cooking in the berries add a pinch of citric acid.
- Ready jam hot packaged in sterile jars and hermetically sealed.
Chokeberry Jam: Recipe with Mint
Mint will be able to refresh the taste of the finished dish and make it more fragrant. And to use this wonderful spicy grass for making jam is very simple. It should be only at the stage of the last cooking to add to the workpiece a few coarsely chopped peppermint sprigs (together with citric acid).
In the process of distribution of jam in containers, the branches are taken out as far as possible - they have already fully completed their task.
A simple recipe for blackfruit jam
Using this recipe, you can make delicious jam from chokeberry, granulated sugar and a small amount of water in one day.
You will need:
- 1 kg of black rowan berries;
- 250 ml of water;
- 1.5 kg of sugar.
As a result, the final product will be about five jars with a capacity of 0.5 liters.
- Enumerated and washed berries are dipped for 5-6 minutes in boiling water with the head.
- After which they pass the mountain ash through a colander and immediately fill it with cold water.
- Syrup is boiled out of water and sugar, ensuring its full transparency.
- In the syrup is placed a pro-battered chokeberry rowan and evaporated it over a low heat for about 12-15 minutes.
- Then turn off the fire and leave the container with the future jam alone for several hours.
- Heat again on high heat until boiling and, reducing the heat, boil for another 10 minutes.
- After the next 2-3 hours of settling, the last time the preparation is evaporated from chokeberry for a quarter of an hour and, spread out in sterile jars, immediately sealed with boiled lids.
Chokeberry Cinnamon Jam
The addition of 1.5 tsp at the last stage of cooking will help to diversify and add a savory taste to the finished jam. Cinnamon or 2 sticks per 1 kg of chokeberry.
Five minute jam from black chokeberry
This pretty standard recipe also has its own peculiarities in the case of chokeberry. In order to preserve a five-minute black chokeberry jam, it was possible to save it without a refrigerator, the recipe provides for the mandatory sterilization of the finished product.
You will need:
- 950 g of black rowan;
- 1200 g of sugar;
- 300 ml of water.
- Enumerated and washed chokeberry is blanched in boiling water for 4 to 6 minutes, then poured with cold water.
- The required amount of water is heated to boiling, sugar is dissolved in it and boiled until the syrup is completely transparent.
- Fill the prepared black carp with hot syrup and leave it overnight (10-12 hours).
- The next morning, put the jam on a moderate fire, boil for exactly 5 minutes, remove the foam.
- Then hot jam is laid out in clean glass containers, covered with steamed lids and placed on a towel or other stand in a wide saucepan with hot water. Attention! The water level should be approximately on the shoulders of the banks installed in the pan.
- Sterilized 0,5l jars of jam after boiling for 15 minutes.
- Then instantly clog up.
Tasty black chokeberry jam with nuts
The jam prepared according to this recipe is not only very tasty and healthy, but also extremely satisfying. It can also be used as a full filling for pies.
You will need:
- 1500 g black chokeberry;
- 1000g of granulated sugar;
- 250 g of peeled walnut;
- 500 ml of water.
- Aronia berries are sorted, washed, poured a cup of boiling water and left in this form overnight.
- In the morning, the water is poured into a separate container, sugar is added to it and, thus, syrup is prepared.
- Nuts finely chopped with a knife.
- Boil the chokeberry and chopped nuts into the boiling syrup and boil for a quarter of an hour after boiling.
- They again leave the billet for the night, and in the morning they boil another quarter of an hour.
- They turn off the fire, cover the jam with a lid, lay a layer of boiled cotton towels between it and the pan, and after a few hours lay them out on dry and clean containers and tighten them tightly.
Pear jam with black chokeberry
By analogy with the previous recipe, a deli garnet of rowanberry and pears with the addition of walnuts is also prepared.
You will need:
- 700 grams of chokeberry;
- 250 g of pears;
- 700 g of sugar;
- 160 g of peeled nuts (walnuts);
- 200 ml of water;
- 3-4 g of citric acid.
The manufacturing process is identical to that described in the previous recipe. Pears are cut into small cubes and poured into syrup along with berries and nuts.
Blackberry and Plum Jam
According to the classical recipe, the blackberry jam is a bit like cherry, and if you cook it with a plum, then hardly anyone can determine what the dessert is made of.
You will need:
- 750 grams of black fruit;
- 1300 g of sugar;
- 680 ml of water;
- 450 g plums.
- Plums and chokeberry are washed in several waters.
- Remove bones from plums, twigs and stems from mountain ash.
- Rowan blanch for about 5 minutes in boiling water, take out, quickly cooled.
- 800 g of sugar is added to 680 ml of mountain ash broth and boiled until it is completely dissolved.
- The plums are cut into pieces of a size that is convenient for the hostess, and together with the berries of the chokeberry are placed in a sugar syrup.
- Boil for 12 minutes, remove the foam, fall asleep the remaining amount of granulated sugar (500 g) and, mixing, leave to cool.
- After 9-10 hours of infusion, the jam is heated again and boiled until it begins to thicken. This will be approximately 20-30 minutes.
- For dry and clean cans, the billet is laid out after it cools. Even using plastic covers, it is safe to store this jam in a regular pantry.
How to cook jam from black ashberry with vanilla
If in the jam, prepared according to the recipe described above, add 1.5 g of vanillin (1 bag), it will get a very interesting flavor.Attention! Especially well vanillin is combined with dark plums.
Jam from chokeberry and red rowan together
Black chokeberry and red rowan, despite the common name, are not even close relatives. But despite this, they are perfectly combined in one jam. It should only be borne in mind that red rowan can not be used in fresh billets due to the bitterness inherent in the berries. However, it is relatively easy to break free from it — it takes only a few hours to hold them in the freezer.
For the preparation of delicious and unusual dishes will require:
- 300 g of red and black chokeberry;
- 300 ml of water;
- 1.5-2 g ground cloves;
- 500 g sugar.
- Red rowan is freed from debris and twigs and placed for several hours in the freezer. This is best done at night.
- It is enough to clean the black mountain ash from garbage and rinse thoroughly.
- The next day, put both species of rowan trees in boiling water and boil for about a quarter of an hour to a mild condition, not forgetting to remove the foam if necessary.
- Berries are cooled and rubbed through a sieve. Then add to them sugar and ground cloves.
- The berry mixture is placed on the fire again and, after boiling, boil on a small heating for 15 to 25 minutes until thickening is visible to the eye.
- Lay out in dry jars that can be closed, both metal and plastic lids, and even parchment paper.
A quick recipe for black chokeberry jam
There is the fastest recipe for making blackfruit jam, the whole workflow of which takes less than half an hour.
You will need:
- 500 g of black ash;
- 1000 g of sugar;
- 120 ml of water.
- Washed blacktop blanch 7 minutes in boiling water and immediately turned into mashed potatoes using a blender.
- Add sugar and after boiling the mixture is boiled on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Lay out on a sterile container, tightly closed and cooled under a blanket for additional sterilization.
Currant jam and black fruit
You will need:
- 500 g of black ash and currants;
- 1050 g of sugar.
This simple recipe will help create a delicious, fragrant and very useful preparation for the winter.
- Currants and mountain ash are cleaned of twigs and other debris, well washed under running water.
- Lightly dried on a towel, and then spread in layers in a deep dish, alternating berries and granulated sugar.
- Stand for several hours before extracting the juice, gently mixed and left to soak for another 9-10 hours (overnight).
- Then the berry mixture is placed on the fire, heated to boiling and slowly boiled, constantly stirring and waiting for the mixture to begin to thicken.
The following proportions of products will be useful for this:
- 500 g of mountain ash;
- 300 g of red currant;
- 250 g of black currant;
- 1.2 kg of sugar.
The turn is the same plum, only wild. And with Aronia, it is related and color shade, and the size of the fruit is almost the same.
You will need:
- 1 kg of black chokeberry;
- 1 kg of thorns;
- 2 kg of granulated sugar.
- The thorns are washed, freeing debris, and incised, removing the bone.
- Chernoplodku traditionally blanched in boiling water.
- Then both types of fruit are covered with sugar and left for several hours to soak and extract the juice.
- Next, jam is cooked according to the classical scheme: boil for 10 minutes, cool for several hours. Repeat this process at least 3 times.
- Hot jam is packaged in a glass container, clogged.
Recipe for the winter of the wolfberry with zucchini
You will need:
- 950 g of black rowan berries;
- 1000 g zucchini;
- 1000 grams of sugar;
- 3-4 g of citric acid;
- 2 pods of cinnamon.
- A Black Nerve is prepared in the traditional way: rinsed, blanched and dried.
- Squash peeled, chopped into pieces of approximately the same size.
- Combine berries and vegetables, fall asleep with sugar, mix and leave for a couple of hours.
- Then heated to boiling and boiled for about half an hour. The foam in this jam is practically not formed.
- Cinnamon and citric acid are added, cooled and boiled again for about a quarter of an hour.
- After that, the jam is considered ready.
With an increase in the number of black fruits, the jam turns out to be thicker, otherwise a lot of beautiful syrup is formed.
How to cook blackberry jam with cranberries
Prepare the jam for this recipe in the traditional way, only the number of infusions is reduced to two.
You will need:
- 500 g of mountain ash;
- 120 g of cranberries;
- 600 grams of sugar.
- Черноплодку промывают, бланшируют в кипятке не менее 10 минут.
- Mixed with peeled cranberries, covered with sugar and set to heat on a small fire.
- When the juice from the cranberries starts to stand out intensively, the fire is increased and boiled for 5 minutes.
- Completely cool the billet, then boil again for about 5 minutes and immediately roll it up, distributing it in sterile jars.
Rules for storage of black chokeberry jam
You can store a useful delicacy in the cellar and in the usual storeroom until the next season. One has only to ensure that there are no nearby heating devices and light sources.
Black chokeberry jam can be made using a variety of technologies and using the most unusual additives. They only retouch the small tartness of the berries and give the finished dish a whole variety of flavors.