Modern hybrids very actively squeeze out old grape varieties, and these become less and less every year. Tayfi grapes is considered one of the most ancient varieties, because the first mention of it dates back to the seventh century. Oriental grape variety, came to Europe from Arab countries. This crop has two varieties: white and pink grapes. Tayfi Pink has gained a lot of popularity and distribution, therefore we’ll talk about this variety later. The advantages of this species are many, and the main ones are considered to be the excellent taste of berries and the attractive appearance of clusters. Growers from Russia may face a number of difficulties in growing Taifi, because this variety is oriental and loves heat and sun very much.
A detailed description of the Tayfi Pink grape variety with photos and reviews is provided in this article. Here you will be told about the advantages and disadvantages of Taifi, about the rules of its cultivation and the necessary care.
Characteristics of the species
The “journey” of Tayfi grapes from Samarkand and Bukhara (his homeland) around the world was a long one. Far from all continents and not in all countries, this variety has caught on and was able to exist. For normal development and fruiting the vine requires a warm and even hot climate, a lot of sun, a long summer.
The lands of Crimea, Georgia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Dagestan turned out to be the most suitable for eastern Taifi. There, the grapes received other names, and today the vine of this variety can be bought under such names as Gissori, Tayfi-Surkh, Toipi-Kyzyl.
Grapes Tayfi Pink is a table species and is included in the group of eastern hybrids and varieties. The variety description is as follows:
- plant with vigorous bushes and tall shoots;
- the maturity of the crop is late - from the moment of bud break in the spring to the technical maturity of the berries, 165-170 days should pass;
- there is a dark border of crimson on the young shoots, they are poorly colored and have crowns with a slight pubescence (this information will be useful to those who first want to buy a seedling of this variety);
- fully matured vines and annual shoots are colored reddish-brown;
- grape shoots ripen well, are characterized by strong growth;
- the percentage of fruit-bearing shoots reaches 80, ovaries can form even on stepchildren;
- the leaves of Tayfi Rosy are large, five-lobed, their shape is elongated, oval;
- the lower part of the leaf is usually covered with a small fuzz, but it can be completely smooth;
- Tayfi Rose flowers are bisexual, which greatly facilitates their pollination and favorably affects the yield of grapes;
- a bunch of grapes is very large, loose with a large number of lateral blades;
- the average mass of the cluster varies from 700 to 1500 kg (there are grape clusters weighing about two kilograms);
- the shape of the bunch in Tayfi Pink is zylinrokonicheskaya or conical;
- the leg of the bunch of grapes is long, woody at the base;
- berries of the Eastern variety are very large, their weight is usually 7-9 grams;
- the shape of the berries is oval or cylindrical; the distinctively sloping tip distinguishes fruits from other varieties;
- in length, the berry can reach three centimeters, the standard size is 2.3-2.8 cm;
- in the stage of full ripening, the pink Tayfi berries have a very bright color: from dark pink to reddish and violet;
- the rind of the berry is covered with a small waxy bloom, with tiny dark dots visible on it;
- Peel on Tayfi fruit dense, thick, its inner side has a rich red tint;
- the flesh is crispy, dense, juicy, fleshy;
- the taste of Tayfi Rosy is excellent, very sweet, harmonious (this grape is highly valued by tasters);
- the sugar content is 17.2%, the acidity is 6.4 g / l, the caloric content is 65 kcal per 100 grams (which is much less than most hybrids and grape varieties);
- when ripe, the fruits do not crumble, do not overripe (on the contrary, the longer the bunch is on the vine, the more delicious the grapes are);
- the Tayfi grape variety can be stored for a very long time (it must be kept in the fridge of the cluster until the spring);
- Fruits tolerate transportation, have a high commodity value;
- Tayfi Pink grapes are very unpretentious to the composition of the soil, it can be grown on scanty and saline soils;
- the grade is unstable to low temperatures, badly transfers sharp temperature differences;
- immunity to diseases characteristic of grapes in Tayfi Rozovy is bad;
- yield high varieties - with a hectare of vineyards can be removed about 20 tons of fruit.
Attention! Many are concerned about the issue: Tayfi grapes with or without stones. There are seeds in the pulp of this variety, they are quite large, usually there are three of them in each fruit.
However, it cannot be said that the presence of seeds is a drawback to Taifi. This grape is highly valued for its dietary and medicinal properties, it is recommended to eat along with the peel and the pits, since each part of the berry contains its own vitamins and useful trace elements.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any cultivated plant, Tayfi grapes have their strengths and weaknesses. Connoisseurs of this variety love him for such qualities:
- excellent taste and high nutritional value;
- beautiful presentation (as confirmed by photos of berries and clusters);
- the possibility of long-term storage (for several months!) without loss of taste and attractiveness of the crop;
- high yield;
- fertility of the vine and its rapid growth;
- possibility of growing on salty and arid soils.
You can use Tayfi grapes as you like: they eat it fresh, prepare juices (the juice, by the way, is transparent) and wine, make various sauces and pickles based on berries, dry the fruits and get the best raisins in the world.Important! Winegrower may encounter cuttings of white Gissori. Indeed, there are Tayfi Bely grapes, it is also quite popular among gardeners and is better known under the name of Monty. But the Tayfi Black grape does not exist - it is a deception or cunning of sellers.
The shortcomings of the ancient Gissori also exist, and they are quite serious. Therefore, the grower before buying cuttings should think carefully, weigh all the pros and cons. The disadvantages of this sort are:
- poor frost resistance;
- the deterioration of the taste of berries with a lack of sun;
- intolerance to temperature fluctuations;
- Tayfi susceptibility to diseases such as spider mites, mildew, oidium, powdery mildew.
Despite all the listed disadvantages, the reviews about Tayfi grapes are mostly positive. All disadvantages Gissori overlap its positive qualities. In addition, usually experienced growers are ready for the features of any kind.
Agricultural engineering rules
To grow a Tayfi Pink variety, in principle, is not difficult - these grapes are unpretentious. The only thing that a vine needs for normal development is a suitable climate. Given the weak frost resistance of the variety, its love for the sun and long vegetation, Tayfi grapes are not recommended to be grown in a temperate climate.
Tip! It is possible to plant the eastern Gissori growers from the southernmost regions of Russia (Crimea, Krasnodar Territory) and those who live in the Asian part of the continent.
Tayfi Pink cuttings are distinguished by strong growth and good survival. Usually problems with planting this variety does not arise. For grapes, it is recommended to choose a plot from the south or south-west side, place the vine near the wall of the house, farm building, capital fence.Tip! If you had to plant Gissori Pink in an open area, you still need to create protection for the vine. On the north side of the grapes, you can plant several trees, create an outbuilding or put up a steady fence.
The distance between adjacent bushes should be at least three meters - you should take into account the large height of the bushes and their spreading. Planting pits can be prepared six months before planting, or at least a couple of weeks. The depth of the pit should be at least 50 cm, and its diameter should be about 60 cm.
The bottom of the landing pit is lined with drainage material, a layer of river sand is poured on top. Extracted soil should be mixed with fertilizer. Tayfi grapes do not require a lot of fertilizer, enough buckets of humus and a liter of wood ash.
After a couple of weeks, the fertilizer compacted, and you can start planting. Cuttings is recommended to soak a couple of days in water or in a growth promoter. Immediately after planting, it is necessary to establish a support near the cutting, since the vine of this grape is very tall.
Attention! It is necessary to water the Tayf Pink grapes regularly until it finally starts.
Compared to local varieties, Eastern Tayfi is more capricious and demanding, and therefore it is necessary to care for it a little differently:
- The variety loves water very much (although it tolerates periods of drought normally), so it will be necessary to water the vine often. It is most convenient to use special irrigation systems of drip type for irrigation. If there are no such systems, the grapes are watered at the root. Especially important are watering before the flowering of the vine and immediately after flowering.
- Feeding up Tayfi Pink is needed infrequently. In the fall, you can use organic matter in the form of compost, humus, wood ash, cow manure or bird droppings. During the summer season, the variety responds well to potash-phosphorus feedings, which are performed after the flowering vine.
- The soil around the vine must be regularly loosened. The work of the grower can greatly facilitate the mulch. Organic mulch at the same time protects the soil from drying out and fertilizes the soil.
- Taifi Pink can be pruned in spring or autumn when the vine is in a "sleep" state. This grade is recommended pruning pruning. It should be trimmed into three or four sleeves on the principle of medium pruning (leaving 5-6 buds on each shoot). To increase the yield, you can try a long pruning for 7-8 buds. Large grapes do not tolerate excessive load, so rationing in this case plays a significant role.
- Because of Taifi’s location for disease, several times during the season it will be necessary to carry out preventive treatment of the vine. Spray the bushes should be before flowering and immediately after flowering is over. Especially often this grape is affected by fungal infections, so the use of insecticides is imperative.
Tip! Roses are affected by the same infections and pests as Taifi Pink. Therefore, experienced growers recommend planting a rose bush next to the vine. On the colors of the disease and pests appear 7-10 days earlier - there will be time for the preventive processing of grapes.
FeedbackSergey Viktorovich Kust Tayfi Rosy has been growing for 20-25 years already. This variety is very popular with the whole family, and we call it grape "for the soul." After planting, the cutting took root very quickly, in the third year the vine began to bear fruit. Within five years I received a very decent harvest. I can say that on the old vine the Tayfy variety bears better fruit - now I take at least 30 kg from a bush. I constantly process grapes with fungicides, and after flowering with insecticides. My Tayfi Pink rarely gets sick; only one case of a total defeat of grapes with oidium comes to mind. By the way, the berries ripen in mid-September, so the vine has enough time to prepare for winter.
Tayfi Pink grapes are perfect for lovers of Asian varieties, large-fruited and very sweet. This variety does not take root everywhere, is afraid of cold, does not like shade and temperature extremes. But Gissori tolerates drought well, can grow on poor soils, gives very high yields. Mature clusters have a marketable appearance, tolerate transportation and can be stored for a long time.
It is easy to grow oriental grapes, you just need to create suitable conditions for them.